Philosophy of Religion
Pre-Test / Initial Assessment of Views
Please answer these questions and elaborate on your answers. Feel free to use the back of the page.
- What is the concept of God? That is, if God exists, what sort of being (if God would be a ‘being’) exists?
- If God(s) exist, how many God(s) exist?
- Do Angels and/or Devils exist?
- Does God exist?
- Does God not exist?
- Are there good reasons or strong evidence to believe that God exists? If so, what are some of the best reasons? Why?
- Are there good reasons or strong evidence to believe that God does not exist? If so, what are some of the best reasons? Why?
- Is there a good reason for each evil thing that happens? If God exists, would he allow an evil (e.g., horrendous undeserved, unjust pain and suffering, at least) only if it serves a “greater good”? Why?
- Should you suspend judgment on the question of God’s existence, that is, neither believe that God exists nor believe that God does not exist? Why?
- Do some people go to Heaven after death? Do some people go to Hell after death? Why?
- Should people hold their religious beliefs on the basis of “faith” or “reason” (or both)?
- Concerning people of different religions from yours, and differing religious beliefs, are they mistaken or in some kind of error in having their religious beliefs which differ from your’s?
- What are other good “pre-test” questions? How would you answer them?